Do I need a Certificate of Authentication or an Apostille?

Certificates of Authentication or an Apostille are issued by the Secretary of State of each federal state only for documents which have been signed by certain accepted government officials, or a notary public, of that same state.

The country of destination determines which form of legalization applies: Certificate of Authentication or Apostille.

Apostilles can only be delivered and used by a State-Party of the Apostille Convention. For non State-Party a certificate of Authentication is required.

In the U.S., after the Secretary of States authenticates your document, it must then be sent to the U.S. Department of State to the Certificate of Authentication. Apostilles do not need to complete this last step.

This is why it is very important to mention in what country the document will be used in, and for what purpose.

In our form you just have to select the country where this legalized certificate is going to be used. From that point on we will know what to do.

Please be aware that this authentication does not validate the contents of a/the document.